On 11/19/18 8:15 AM, Beartooth wrote:
        Then I did the special system-upgrade reboot -- and it hung. I
tried rebooting several times, but succeeded only in getting it to hang
on a different error message, one that it now gets every time.

Are you sure it was hung? How long did you leave it? Do you remember what message was on the screen? If you rebooted during the upgrade, you most likely interrupted it part way through the upgrade which means it will have a mix of packages from both versions.

        That message is long, complex, and ambiguous in several places,
at least to the uninitiated. It begins by saying something like "You are
now in emergency mode." Then it talks about logging in a/o giving
commands, some as root. Finally it says you can try to continue by
hitting ^D; I've done that, and it tries to reboot but hangs with what
seems the same message.

This is emergency mode in which your system is running only from the initramfs so the commands available are very limited.

        That PC is now running a live medium of F29. I could tell it to
install to hard drive; or I could burn a medium for netinstall. (She does
say she has not done significant work on her important data since the
backups I made before upgrading her to F27.)

If you installed it originally in the recommended partitioning with a separate /home partition, then doing a clean install won't touch her files. At this point, the easiest solution would be to do that fresh install of F29.