On 12/3/18 10:16 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 03/12/2018 17:30, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 12/3/18 8:15 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> Hi:  I have two boxes connected to the same router.  One runs SL7.5,
>>> from tomorrow probably SL7.6, which is an el7 clone, and the other runs
>>> Fedora 28.
>>>
>>> I can ssh and rsync from F28 to SL7, but permission is denied in the
>>> opposite direction.  Port 22 is open.  I now have copies of both
>>> versions of /etc/sshd and intend to examine diffs.
>>>
>>> Google provides many links but nothing that looks authoritative or,
>>> preferably, authoritative and simple.  Any help wpuld be appreciated.
>>
>> You need to look at the logs or messages when you try to connect from
>> SL7 to F28 (and F29 is current).
>>
>> Odds are that SL7 is using a cipher or an algorithm that is deemed
>> insecure in the latest sshd implementations at the F28 end and you'll
>> either need to have sshd on F28 accept it (via a "Ciphers" or
>> "KexAlgorithms" option in /etc/ssh/sshd_config) or use one of the
>> acceptable ciphers/algorithms at the client (SL7) end.
>>
>> Logs and error messages are your friends in these cases.
>
> Thanks Rick.  The SL7.5 to 7.6 upgrade has just completed but
> 'Connection refused' still.  The only effective diffs between the
> sshd_configs appeared to be in F28, 'PermitRootLogin yes' and 'PrintMotd
> no'.  So I'll try to get some more verbose logs.

"PermitRootLogin yes" is dangerous (allows root to log in via ssh) so
I wouldn't suggest leaving that alone. I'd set it to "no" and restart
sshd ("systemctl restart sshd.service"). You'll need to log in as a non-
root user and "sudo" stuff, but it's safer.

As to the other stuff, try "ssh -v <hostname-or-addr-of-f28-system>"
from the SL client, see what it says and post that. Oh, and make sure
the F28 firewall is permitting incoming TCP port 22 (can't recall if it
does that by default). You can find that by, as root:

        # firewall-cmd --get-default-zone
        # firewall-cmd --info-zone <value-from-prev-cmd>

Look for the service "ssh" or something like "22/tcp". On one of my
machines (ssh service marked with "^^^"):

        [root@prophead ~]# firewall-cmd --get-default-zone
        public
        [root@prophead ~]# firewall-cmd --info-zone public
        public (active)
          target: default
          icmp-block-inversion: no
          interfaces: em1 eno1
          sources:
          services: dhcpv6-client mdns sane ssh synergy tftp tftp-client
                                            ^^^
          ports: 54925/udp 1900/udp 49152/tcp 514/udp 8200/tcp 514/tcp 1935/tcp
161/udp
          protocols:
          masquerade: no
          forward-ports:
          source-ports:
          icmp-blocks:
          rich rules:
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ri...@alldigital.com -
-  "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick"  -
-     themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."       -
-                                  -- Winston Churchill              -