On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:05:56 AM EST Chris Adams wrote:
> It's the difference between using a multitool and a purpose-built tool.
> Sure, your Leatherman or Gerber can strip wires and screw in a switch,
> but a good pair of wire strippers and assorted size screwdrivers will
> usually be more convenient (and quicker) to use.

I cannot think of a more dishonest comparison. A multitool cannot be easily
reconfigured to meet a given purpose. A multitool could not be made to be as
ergonomic and efficient of a screwdriver as a real screwdriver, for example.
With Fedora, you can configure the system to be anything you could ever need.

> OpenWrt is a light-weight system designed for router setups.  It has an
> integrated web UI (for those that want it) that can configure and
> monitor traffic, and all configuration normally needed is in a small set
> of config files in one directory and in a common format (makes
> management much easier for occasional edits).

Sure, and if you're alright with throwing up something in a system you're
unfamiliar with, or you don't have time to properly manage yet another system,
maybe it's a good idea.

> There are things that OpenWrt does easily that Fedora doesn't do at all;
> for example, the web UI on OpenWrt includes real-time traffic graphs.  I
> don't know of anything that can provide that in Fedora.

There are several packages that you could install to show you real-time
statistics of your system's network interfaces (including virtual interfaces).
Cockpit is one which the Fedora Server folks put in their default image.

> Also, OpenWrt uses much less resources than any general-purpose OS
> install, so costs less.

This isn't necessarily true. It would depend heavily on what you install, and
how you configure it. Out of box? Sure.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <joh...@splentity.com>
Splentity