On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 8:57 AM Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 09-01-19 15:11, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > Following up on Windows 10 not being detected I have a strange (to me)
> issue...
> >
> > Windows 10 created an EFI partition
> >
> > Fedora did a EFI install but DID NOT install the EFI data to the EFI
> partition that Windows created and DID NOT create one of its own. The
> Fedora EFI files are installed to the plain /boot partition.
> >
> > Now I will say this is a somewhat older computer and has pretty early
> EFI support (EFI Ready). There's no configurable EFI options in the BIOS
> other than for CD/DVD booting.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I believe this means that Fedora did not recognize your machine as using
> UEFI
> and is using classic BIOS boot instead. When you installed Fedora and
> booted from a CD or USB stick, you likely got the option to either boot
> Fedora in classic BIOS mode (probably marked in your BIOS boot menu as
> just "USB storage"
> or some such) and to boot it in UEFI mode (marked with EFI in the name
> somewhere),
> I think you probably picked the classic option, causing Fedora to do
> a classic install.

Ok... I thought the presence of /boot/efi/EFI meant it was booting UEFI but
I checked my MythTV system which hasn't seen a fresh install since 2012 and
it has those directories as well. It does have BIOS_BOOT since the main HD
is gpt partitioned.

> Since you are getting what is most likely a classic BIOS grub version now
> when booting now your BIOS likely remembered that you booted in classic
> mode
> the last time and stuck with that.
>
> If Windows 10 expects to be loaded through UEFI then chainloading won't
> work.
> Take a look in your BIOS if you can turn EFI mode on, or try hitting F12 /
> F8
> (or some such) to get your BIOS boot menu. Probably you can choose between
> UEFI and classic booting your harddisk.

I'll double check but it treats the USB has a hard disk and I don't recall
seeing a EFI option. The ONLY option related to EFI in the BIOS is for
CD/DVD devices which is set, hence Win10 getting installed EFI using the
disc. I may have to actually burn the ISO to disk to get it to boot in UEFI
mode.

Thanks,
Richard