I use Mate as my DE but would like to have gnome
available as well.  However I must have a configuration
error I can not find as I've not been able to login to
a gnome environment for about 3 years.

If I create a test user, that user can login to a gnome
environment.  But when I try I get one of two results,
either the screen goes blank, never to change, or I
get a gnome flash screen "Opps, something went wrong!".

I've tried deleting all "~/.gnome..." related directories
including those under ~/.config and ~/.local.  But still
no joy.

This has been the situation on my desktop system since
about F24 (currently F29) and carried over to a new F29
laptop where I copied most of my home dir from my desktop.

When there were multiple gnome environments available,
Xorg, Wayland, ???, they all fail.

Though I've looked, I may have missed log entries pointing
me to the problem.

Any insight into what might prevent gnome from starting or
how to investigate?

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com