On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:24:11 -0700
stan via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> The other thing that is a positive, is that the kernel automatically
> signs all modules during build if configured to do so, which I have,
> so I don't have to worry about that. I'm using sha512, while the stock
> kernels use sha256, but that shouldn't make a difference, as long as
> the validation takes its cue from the kernel declaration, rather than
> being hard coded.

The solution is that the kernel is already signed by the build process,
when it is built from the Fedora kernel spec.  The problem wasn't
the signing, it was a missing code page for 8859-1.  This is the
default code page for vfat in the kernel, so it couldn't read
the /boot/efi partition.  Once I added the code page, the boot succeeds
as UEFI.   I'm going to try changing that default to utf-8 so I don't
have to keep the 8859-1 code page.