On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 23:09:58 +0200, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> Maybe, however, some perl packages require packages with a version
> number higher than a certain value.
> Thus, if the Provides/Requires instructions are not set properly,
> all the packages requiring other packages fail, either at the build or
> installation step.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

The Provides/Requires dependencies are set automatically at build-time.
One package _provides_ exactly what is found within in.
Another package _requires_ exactly what it uses in its code.
These automatic dependencies are correct at build-time, if and only if
none of the providing packages is taken away or replaced with something
incompatible (such as failing to satisfy >= requirements due to API changes
or runtime behaviour changes).

If a Perl Module included in an RPM package is version X.Y, the package
must not be used, if a package requires a version higher than X.Y. The
package metadata must only provide exactly the version of the Perl Module
that is included. That is why perl-generators is used to create these
dependencies at build-time. If a newer version of the Perl Module is
needed, an update to the package collection may be needed.

If you hack a spec file with manually added "Provides:" for a higher
version, you are working against the entire system of package dependencies.

> In my opinion, all the perl packages need to be checked
> to go through the distribution without requiring to use
> capnspec by the final user.

That is entirely unrelated to this mailing-list thread. It could be that
there are perl-* RPM packages included in Fedora's package collection,
which are missing the perl-generators build requirement and which are
missing "perl(A::B) = version" provides. If that is the case, file a bug
report. Or step up as co-maintainer, if you depend on such packages.