On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 11:36:19 +0930
Tim via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> You could test whether its your service provider or your router
> blocking that traffic.  Set the router to use 8.8.8.8 as its DNS
> server, and see if it can still resolve names.  Use the dig command
> with the @ portion set to the router's IP.  Try and resolve a name it
> won't have an already cached answer for.
>
> If the router is the problem, look for its firewall settings.

I set the dns resolver in the router to 8.8.8.8.

"""
$ dig example.com @8.8.8.8

; <<>> DiG 9.11.8-RedHat-9.11.8-1.fc31 <<>> example.com @8.8.8.8
;; global options: +cmd
"""

"""
~  10:27 AM  stan  4
$ dig example.com @192.168.0.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.8-RedHat-9.11.8-1.fc31 <<>> example.com @192.168.0.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;example.com.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
example.com.            20760   IN      A       93.184.216.34

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jul 05 10:27:25 MST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 56
"""

Same results with 1.1.1.1 if I set it as the dns resolver in the
router.    I see that the router is using the set dns forwarders by
watching the transactions in iftop.

I then restarted the bind/named server, told it that its forwarder was
192.168.0.1, the router, and

"""
$ dig rootusers.com @1.1.1.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.8-RedHat-9.11.8-1.fc31 <<>> rootusers.com @1.1.1.1

;; global options: +cmd

"""

But, if I do the dig using the router address, it succeeds even with
the dns resolver set to 127.0.0.1 for the connection and bind/named
running as dns server:

"""
$ dig rootusers.com @192.168.0.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.8-RedHat-9.11.8-1.fc31 <<>> rootusers.com @192.168.0.1

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1452

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;rootusers.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

rootusers.com.          633     IN      A       104.24.126.122

rootusers.com.          633     IN      A       104.24.127.122

;; Query time: 22 msec

;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)

;; WHEN: Fri Jul 05 10:55:48 MST 2019

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 74
"""

Why doesn't the bind/named server forward the name for resolution to
the router that is its forwarder?

I think these results means that it is the router that is doing the
filtering rather than the ISP.  True?

> On Linux, and elsewhere, most things expect localhost and 127.0.0.1 to
> resolve into each other in both directions.  And they are the

After reboot, the local name has returned to localhost.localdomain, so
it must have been something transient.