On 7/10/19 1:33 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

On 6/17/19 1:03 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
From: "Samuel Sieb" <sam...@sieb.net>
Where are you entering this?  From a console or ssh?
Yes

That wasn't intended to be a yes or no question.  I assume from the
answer below that it's a terminal console.

Try using "kill -HUP" on the gnome-shell process.

I tried this with what I though was the correct gnome-session, but I finally
lost the keyboard, and I
had to shutdown manually.
How to identify the right session?

ps auxw | grep shell
There should be two, one for gdm, one for your user.
This assumes that you are using X, I'm pretty sure this won't work with Wayland because the window manager is the graphics server.