On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 10:17:36 -0700 Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

> On September 22, 2019 8:07:21 AM PDT, Ranjan Maitra <mai...@email.com> wrote:
>
> >$ sudo losetup -f -P /home/maitra/SD_card_rescue.img
> >losetup: /home/maitra/SD_card_rescue.img: failed to set up loop device:
> >No such file or directory
>
> That file didn't exist like it says.
>
> >$ sudo mount -o loop /home/maitra/SD_card_rescue.log /mnt/test
> >
> >But now I get:
> >
> >mount: /mnt/test: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> >/dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
> >
> >So, I looked at (as per
> >https://askubuntu.com/questions/634501/cant-mount-iso-file-as-loop-device-error-failed-to-setup-loop-device):
> >
> >$file  /home/maitra/SD_card_rescue.log
> >
> >and I got:
> >
> >/home/maitra/SD_card_rescue.log: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :
> >ID=0x83, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-CHS (0x3ec,254,63), startsector
> >2048, 16143277 sectors
>
> You wrote the image to that file. Losetup on that file should work like you
> expect.

Thanks very much! I will go through the steps again just to be sure.

While comparing with
https://blog.tinned-software.net/rescue-data-from-corrupt-sd-card/

I get:

$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for maitra:
Model: USB Mass  Storage Device (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 8270MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  8266MB  8265MB  primary  ext4

Model: PC401 NVMe SK hynix 512GB (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  1000MB  999MB   fat32           EFI System Partition  boot, esp
 4      1000MB  22.5GB  21.5GB  linux-swap(v1)                        swap
 3      22.5GB  478GB   456GB
 2      478GB   505GB   26.8GB  ext4
 5      505GB   509GB   4295MB  ext4
 6      509GB   512GB   2621MB  ext4

-----

The first part is slightly different from on that page which reads:

$ parted -l
Warning: Unable to open /dev/mmcblk0 read-write (Read-only file system).
/dev/mmcblk0 has been opened read-only.
Model: SD SL32G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 31,9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      4194kB  31,9GB  31,9GB  primary               lba

--------------------------

Notably, my disk flag type is "ext4" and there are no flags. This is different
from what the partition on that post is (there the disk flag type is "primary"
and the flag is "lba".

Is this important?

Just to clarify, my SD is being read through an adapter because there is no SD
card

Other than that, the situation is the same:  I have a corrupt (I guess) SD card
with pictures from a camera from a year ago.

Many thanks,
Ranjan