On 12/24/19 12:57 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 12/24/19 8:02 AM, Frank wrote:
I am running a freshly updated Fedora 31. I noticed this morning that the systemd-modules-load.service failed. I saw it on boot

and later in the journal log.

There is no explanation why it failed, just the notification.

I've seen this for a long time on multiple computers, but haven't bothered to take the time to figure it out.  Although now that I check it, it was successful on this computer.  Look in the service file /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service to see the list of directories and check which modules it would be trying to load.

I have since discovered that the problem originates from Grub loading the wrong kernel which is another problem I have to solve. I run two Linux distros on this computer (in addition to Windows 10), Debian Sid and Fedora. I have been installing grub from Debian into /dev/sda, the main disk. I suspect the problem exists because the Debian version of update-grub (to create the new grub.cfg file) sorts the Fedora Kernels in the wrong order, putting the recovery entry first, then the oldest kernel followed by the newest kernel. So just hitting the Grub entry for Fedora on booting results (sometimes) in the oldest kernel, or occasionally the recovery entry.

I'll have to take this up with users on the Debian list.

BTW, systemd-modules-load.service doe not make any mention of directories with lists of kernel modules??

Sorry for the noise.