On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 10:19, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <r...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 10:48:26PM -0500, John Mellor wrote:
> >On 2019-12-30 5:52 p.m., Chris Murphy wrote:
> >>On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM John Mellor <john.mel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>I've complained about this issue before.  Its a defective design
> >>decision made by the Gnome people, some of whom I suspect to be
> >>ex-Windows people trying to sabotage the desktop    ;^0
> >>https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
> >>
> >>Your email is 1) inconsiderate, specifically it is vapid and without
> >>thought. It's not rational. It's not factual. 2) it is not respectful,
> >>specifically it's transparently an intent to evoke an emotional
> >>response by using "Windows" and "sabotage" as insults. You are
> >>accusing people you do not know, have no evidence of, of willfully,
> >>intentionally, destroying your experience and the experience of
> >>others.
>
> >Thank you for providing a link to the CofC document.  I may have been
> >misinterpreted in my attempt at humour (note the emoji in the
> >context), and will therefore refrain from such in the presence of a
> >few people with sore funnybones
>

> Supported. In other times I tried humour in Linux places - but chances
> are good it won't often be understood as such any more. Not with even a
> thousand smileys ...

It is important to realize that a large number of linux users are not native
English speakers.  Many of these users will have difficulties recognizing
and understanding humorous posts.

> >   Apologies.
> >
> >However, I believe that you have completely missed the point of the
> >threads.  If Gnome (for example) is not API-safe and failures may
> >occur when upgrading its components and/or apps, then a suitable
> >workaround would possibly be to install only those app updates over a
> >reboot, and allow the other packages to be updated normally and
> >without requiring a reboot.
>
> If I can manage my system with a CLI, I try it. Instead of using
> some GUI.
>
> With a gui you normally have an extra chance of failure - so removing
> the chance, by avoiding it, is my effort to get the job done as fast and
> safe as possible. Keep it simple. If you don't need the extra layer
> of a GUI (Gnome or others): why use it? So even for an upgrade I use
> the command line on a TTY, with a mostly shut-down X. Works nearly
> flawlessly on Fedora since around three years ..
> [...]
> But don't forget this: the whole idea behind these reboots and offline
> updates, and its implementation, seems to allow a typical Fedora user,
> without too much knowledge about the system, to upgrade their system
> with minimal effort and minimized risk. Meaning more users are
> getting enabled to run the system. And the stats, as quoted by
> R. Hughes earlier, seem to confirm they're right with this approach.

All linux users benefit from reductions in the problems encountered by
new users.  Not only are new users more likely to stick with linux, but
demands (on a per user basis) on developer and support resources
are reduced.

--
George N. White III