On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 23:18 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 09:25 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
the printing is largely of documents, but the printer sits for a
while doing nothing. I guess laser is the way to go then? What are
goog suggestions then?

I'd say laser is the better option.  For text, they usually print
better than inkjet do.  And you don't get smudging with moisture like
ink does.

Hewlett Packard printers are likely to work without you having to find
drivers for them.  Other brands may only work with their own special
drivers, that they only bother to make for a few releases of Linux at
the time they released their printer.  That's if they even make a Linux
driver.

That's probably good general advice, but I'll just repeat that my all-
in-one from Brother is just short of 6 years old and the proprietary
driver still works with F31, both for scanning and printing. At the
time it was markedly cheaper than the HP alternative, though that may
or may not be the case now.

I got a Brother color laser recently and it prints and scans great with the driver from Brother. Before that I had an HP color laser that also worked well.