On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 7:15
PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 23:18 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 09:25 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
the printing is largely of documents, but the printer sits for a
while doing nothing. I guess laser is the way to go then? What are
goog suggestions then?

Look around for a used HP laser printer. I am using an HP1320 which I bought in May, 2005 for about $550 including an extra cartridge and tax. HP cartridges are expensive! I have no idea how many cartridges I have gone through, probably over a dozen, and it is as good as the day I bought it. Drivers are included with cups or hplip. The bare HP1320 needs a ~$30 network print server if you want to network it, otherwise a parallel port!

If you want print/fax/scan, then one of the all in ones or 'MFP'. I have an HP3055 which I purchased in 2006 (to replace the fax machine which had died). I mainly use it for scanning now. It has builtin network capability. Again, the drivers are included in your basic install of cups or hplip.

A good one will probably cost you $50-$75. Off-brand cartridges cost about that. ATM there is an HP P2015d for sale used on kijiji.ca in the Toronto area for $80Cdn. Physically it looks exactly like the HP1320 and has duplex capability. So... $60US???

I happen to like HP printers, but Brother printers do the same thing and are just about as dependable and long-lived. I've had Brother printers too. The best scanner I have ever used is a Brother ADS-1000. Once did over 650 pages in one continuous pass!

Geoff