On 2020-03-26 3:26 p.m., bruce wrote:
Hi.

thinking of a new laptop

base specs

at least 4 core
at least 8-12G with ability to expand to 16/32
1TB
and SSD would be ok
bluetooth
17"
usb/hdmi of course
i'd prefer new, as opposed to used

and of course as cheap as possible

thoughts/comments

I'm assuming that this machine will run Linux.  Its unfortunate that all the machine choices will probably have Windows preloaded on it, so blow it away.

Find an AMD Ryzen-powered machine.  You will get decent built-in graphics, better battery life and a much better processor.  The graphics work out-of-the-box, even for intense games.

There are previous-generation AMD machines on the market, but these are not as good as the Ryzen for several reasons.

If you end up going intel, the inboard graphics are suitable for office use only.  AMD actively helps opensource, while nVidia tries to make operation as difficult as possible.  If it has an added nVidia or AMD graphics chip, the battery life will suffer. And most of the processor exploit attacks are for intel processors.

If you end up with an Arm-powered machine, the battery life will be extremely impressive.  I have not use chromebooks et al, and cannot comment further on that choice.

Good luck!