On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 7:10 PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

> On 4/13/20 5:44 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net
> > <mailto:sam...@sieb.net>> wrote
> >
> >     .desktop files are not really supported any more as things to see or
> >     click on.
> >
> > I guess I didn't realize that, since there is still an installable
> > extension for turning them on and off.
>
> Which extension is that?

 gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons.noarch
   19.10.2-1.fc31                                    @updates

Installing this extension, which appears to be supported as it is being
updated, creates a button in the tweak tool for turning them on or off, and
a settings sub-menu where the display of the Trash icon can be turned on
and off. Turning  on display of the Trash icon causes none of the icons to
be displayed. The only way I know of to see what is in the Trash or to
empty it is to invoke a file manager such as Nautilus or Dolphin. This
seems to be new in F31, as the icons and the Trash work fine from the
desktop on my F30 system.

> I'm assuming you're using Gnome Shell, so from the overview you can type
> the name or possibly keywords of the app to select it.

Yes, but one of the reasons for using the desktop icons in the first place
is to avoid the extra steps of going into shell mode and using the
keyboard.

In any event, if the desktop icons are no longer supported, and there are
bugs in how they work, then I have little choice but to dump them and move
on, so that is what I have done.

--Greg