Hey Ed.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the security/monitoring issue.

Here's my use case:

I'm looking to have multiple servers.
Servers would be running different apps for different purposes.
All Servers running Fed
-DB Server -mysql/mariadb
-Server running webapps/httpd
-Servers running compute operations

All servers configured to run ssh - sshd_config properly configured to
limit access
All servers configured to run with minimal ports turned on
All servers with selinux

My goal would be to have a monitoring/security server/webapp
 that allows a user to quickly "see" if there's an issue
 with any of the servers/processes

I think it makes sense to check/monitor/be alerted if:

-there's a user attempt to access
-there's a ddos on one of the webapps
-there's a root/file issue
-there's a port access issue
-possible intrusion attempts
-weird services used
-any others???

possible software/apps to be installed for security
--rkhunter
--failtoban
--selinux
--clamav -- although not sure the proect would need a mail server/platform
--logMonitoring app (which one)
--app to check file/dir/user settings (which one)
--scanning app/service (which one)
 ---for ports
 ---for services
 ---for log files
 ---for user accounts

I think it makes sense to try to define, or get my head around the things
that should be checked out or monitored. Once I get these things nailed
down, I can figureout the "best" process to be able to monitor the items,
as well as display them in some sort of dashboard.

I've looked over a number of different sites for rhel/ubuntu/fedora/etc..
Most of the sites discuss hardening ssh, as well as looking over the
services/ports, and managing the users/files/dirs.

I'm thinking the things to check for::

Users/User Accounts
logins/access
ports
services/processes
files/dirs -perms/user owner
log files
Any other things that should be checked/examined/considered?????

Once I can get a good list of high level things to check for/secure, I can
figure out the tools to use, as well as how to roll all of this up to some
sort of dashboard.

So my thought process will be:
1) Identify the high level things to check for/secure/monitor for the given
Server Type
2) Identify the tools to run the scans for the Server Type
3) Figure out how to roll the results for each server to a "central
monitoring/dashboard process"

Does this make sense?

Thoughts/comments welcome