On 5/16/20 12:54 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 5/16/20 9:29 AM, Barry Scott wrote:
On 5 May 2020, at 03:57, Ed Greshko <ed.gres...@greshko.com <mailto:ed.gres...@greshko.com>> wrote:

FWIW, I generally use lvresize and only on unmounted file-systems.
I'm pretty much sure that is what the warning is trying to tell you.
Having an active filesystem during a resize operation sounds dangerous to me.

(I've not used LV's much recently)

I use "lvresize -L+${size}G --resizefs ${name}" often and its very safe to do on a live file system.

To shrink or grow?  And which filesystem?

-L is the option, the + following says increase. I believe the lvresize and lvextend commands are filesystem agnostic.

I, too, use these commands on mounted filesystems and have never had a bad experience ( knock on wood ;)