-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Greshko <ed.gres...@greshko.com>
To: Fedora <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Restart F32 WiFi on ThinkPad P72
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 16:30:30 +0800

On 2020-05-31 15:56, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 2020-05-31 15:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > > FWIW, this article
> > > https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/sk/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p72-type-20mb-20mc/solutions/HT500407
> > >
> > > suggests the P72 and a Fn key sequence to enable/disable the Wifi.  My
> > > old Acer laptop has a similarkey sequence which operates on the HW level
> > > independent of any OS.
> > Yes, most laptops have that, but from what he's said that's not the
> > problem.  The wifi is only disabled when the ethernet cable is plugged in.
> > That's the weird part, but since it also happens in windows, it must be a
> > hardware thing.
> OK, this was a rather long thread which I wasn't closely following.  I just
> recall him saying at the start thatthere wasn't a switch on the laptop.

I looked back in the thread and I could find no indication that the Fn key
sequence was indicated to exist orwas tried.
I understand that plugging in the ethernet cable results in a hard block.
However, it seems one should at least see if the Fn key then overrides that.
If that has been tried I can't find it.  Then again, I've been distractedthese
days.
Most Windows users that I know only have one interface active at a time.  So,
the design of the ethernetdisabling Wifi may be based on those types.  :-) :-)
-- The key to getting good answers is to ask good
questions._______________________________________________
Ed,
The toggling behavior between Ethernet and WiFi is not new. It has been
standard on the P72 since I purchased it and installed F29 in November 2018. I
seem to recall the same behavior in the ThinkPad W700 laptop that the P72
replaced. I believe it's controlled by NetworkManager and has been simple and
automatic. While the address configurations for copper and WiFi need not be
different, I prefer setting the same local static address in each mode. That
way all local systems can communicate continuously with the ThinkPad no matter
which interface is active.

--Doc Savage
     Fairview Heights, IL