On 2020-06-01 05:35, bruce wrote:

However, if I fire up a term as another user, and then from the
cmdline, fire up chromium, I get an err msg

No protocol specified
  Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

I've been researching trying to figure out how to resolve this.

The new user must have the EXPORT variable set to :0
  export DISPLAY=:0
but you probably already have it, given the error message above.

The new user must also be authorized to connect to the X server,
you have to run this as the OLD user, in your case it would be the
(very unsafe) root user.
  xhost si:localuser:thenameofthenewuser

This should be enough to open a new browser, then additional steps
are needed if you want for example ability to play sound.

Having different browsers running as different users for different tasks
is a good idea (better cookie privacy, different config and extensions, ...),
but running your main session as root is something being considered
a really bad idea for at least 25 years.

Regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it