Sam Varshavchik kirjoitti 6.6.2020 klo 17.37:
I've got rust here that's been spinning for ~12 years in my basement, 24x7, and I expect it to spin for a while longer.

I can't quite come to terms with the idea of storage with a suicide clock, ticking away.

It's likely that, sometime in the next year, I wll be replacing that hardware, but if that happens, the hardware will retire on my schedule, instead of losing its own blue smoke, by itself.

All hardware fails eventually, and in that sense all hardware has a suicide clock, as you put it. However, I have been using one of the early model SSDs for almost ten years now, and I will probably continue to use it for a good while yet. As for the drive I mentioned earlier, a TBW rating of 100 TB is, in practical perspective, very high.

Since we were talking about the effects of swap, let's say you have a four GB swap partition or file on your SSD with a TBW rating of 100 TB. Let's come up with a pretty extreme example and say your computer swaps a ton and writes that partition full, twice every day. Assuming writes to other partitions are relatively normal, say around four gigabytes per day on average, this gives the drive an expected lifespan of about two decades by my count. Given that, I really would not worry about putting swap on an SSD. In consumer-grade hardware under normal use, I would expect the electronics to rot before the TBW comes up.

--
Terveisin / Regards,
Matti Pulkkinen