On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 Stephen Morris <samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On 17/6/20 1:52 am, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 Stephen Morris <samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> If GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false is not going to be supported anymore,
>>> how does one disable BLS if we don't want it?
>>
>> You MAY be right in assuming that Fedora might choose only to
>> support BLS.
>>
>> If that day comes, we'll use BLS. I hope that, by then, we'll have
>> a way to customize the snippets, for example, not to use the
>> machine-id UUIDs.
>
> My issue with BLS is the way it displays the kernel menu entries in
> grub, it is exactly the same as the way grubby showed the entries
> which I also hated, consequently I refuse to use BLS until such time
> as they provide an option to get the menus displayed as an entry for
> the current kernel and an expandable menu for all other kernels and
> the recovery entries.

I agree that the default menu entries are pretty weird.

I only have two Fedora BIOS VMs where the BLS snippets are created by
"/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/20-grub.install".

I've edited the 20-... script to create the file name and the menu
entry that I want. It's not a "%config" or "%config(noreplace)" file,
so it'll be overwritten on "grub2-common" upgrades.

I overwrite the snippet for the running kernel with:

KERNEL_INSTALL_MACHINE_ID=$(cat /etc/machine-id)
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/20-grub.install add $(uname -r)
/boot/${KERNEL_INSTALL_MACHINE_ID}/$(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/vmlinuz