Tim:
>> If you can't see what you're typing into, you might not be typing
>> into what you think you are.  It might not be a locked screen, it
>> could simply be a black screen and you're typing your password into
>> something that might steal it.
>>
>> Get the screen up before you start typing passwords.

Ed Greshko:
> Don't you think that if someone has managed to infiltrate your system
> to put up a blank screen, password stealing program, it is already
> too late?  :-) :-)

It doesn't have to be that way.

Your screen could be blank for non-hacked reasons (you were watching
something that finished with a black screen, software fault, monitor
lead pulled out, KVM hotkey error, etc), but what was left sitting on
your screen was a terminal, or an instant message, or a webpage with a
form...

Instant Messaging was a right pain for stealing passwords, and other
things, years ago when I still used them.  Incoming messages would
automatically pop-up in the middle of you typing into something else,
and steal what you were typing.  At that stage, they hadn't made them
check whether you were already using the keyboard before they
interrupted.

> And, if they could do that, wouldn't they put up a look alike screen
> saver?  :-)

That one's difficult unless they know what YOUR screensaver is.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1127.13.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 23 15:46:38 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.