On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:44 PM Jack Craig <jack.craig.ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> afaik know power isnt a problem, but on posting did suggest that.
>
> the 32 GB memory is new.
>

>> Are you running nvidia graphics with nouveau?  Because nvidia doesn't
>

> sadly i am. what is a solidly supported nvidia alternative? geforce 730
>

> this  nvidia is my number 1 candidate so far...
>

> thx for reply, jackc...

So far my gt730 with gddr5 seems to work just fine with the nvidia
driver, so that should be solid.  I think I am 2-3 kernels back from
the most recent.  Mine is the version from rpmfusion.  I don't believe
I ran the open source driver for very long.

32gb is enough that you should not have any issues with swapping.

I have not had a lot of luck getting crash dumps to work on my
crashing machine, but if it is a real hardware crash often they just
reset at the bios level and they don't crash dump.

ctrl-alt-f[1/2/3/4/5] will get you from graphics to virt console
assuming it is not dead.

when it crashes does it stay locked up?  if it does switch to a text
console after you logout and the kernel crash message may still be on
the screen in the morning.