I have a couple of SATA drives connected via a USB dock that I use only
for backups. Normally they are powered down and only come on at night
during the backup run. However they also power on any time I reboot the
system and have to be powered down again manually. I'd prefer not to
power them on at all until they're needed.

Is there some magic that would inhibit the boot process from powering
up these devices? Note that the /etc/fstab entry already has 'noauto'
but that just prevents them from being mounted.

poc