Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-12-09 at 10:44 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I should have been more specific in asking this. I am concerned with the
>> possibility it will not go through directories. in the past I have had
>> an empty list of directories. it didn't go through recursively in every
>> one and I am not sure what options I used at that time since it was long
>> afterward discovered. Just want to get it right without experimenting ...
>>

> The -a option includes -r (recursive). See the man page I referenced.
> You can also do a dry run to check:
>
>        --dry-run, -n            perform a trial run with no changes made

For testing, the --verbose, -v option is very handy too.  I
often run `rsync -avn ...` to do a dry-run and check that
the files/directories I expect to be transferred/updated are
indeed included.

The output can be sent to a file for later inspection, if
that's easier than searching in the terminal.

--
Todd