On 2020-12-28 7:51 p.m., Jorge Fábregas wrote:
Is there a known application/service that might *misbehave* because it
expects a an ipv6 stack these days?

The Fedora IP stack used to stall for several seconds in several previous releases.  The normal workaround for that was to disable IPv6, causing pretty massive speedups.  That problem went away at about Fedora 32 or 31.

IPv4 has an address-space capacity issue, and is effectively dead.  The allocated IPv4 address space remains tight in North America, and completely exhausted in most other parts of the world.  In my case, while my internal network remains IPv4 since I use older switches, while my upstream is IPv6.  The only machine that has to be IPv6 internally is my HP printer.  My ISP does not have anywhere near enough IPv4 addresses to support its large customer base, so they were forced to upgrade most of their network to IPv6.  Their v4-to-v6 translation and vice-versa works pretty transparently.  I haven't noticed any issues for a couple of years now.

One interesting and nice side-effect of IPv6 is that I get a lot less drive-by shooting trying to attack my network.  I used to get about 3 port-scanning attempts/day, and now I go weeks without an intrusion-detection hit.  I don't think the bad guys have figured out how to attack IPv6 addresses yet.

--

John Mellor