On 2021-01-15 12:43 a.m., Frédéric wrote:
 From time to time, the system stops in the boot process. Today, I had
to boot 4 times to get it work. The first 3 times, it failed the same
way:
- GRUB shows, I choose the first kernel as usual (5.8.18)
- the boot process stops before asking for the password of the
encrypted luks partition
- Ctrl+Alt+Del reboots the system

When I look at the logs before SIGINT is sent, it always stops at the
same step, just after this message:

kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 47 callbacks suppressed

and apparently, it is just before this which I see when I can boot:

systemd-cryptsetup[734]: Set cipher aes, mode xts-plain64, key size
512 bits for device
/dev/disk/by-uuid/4cdb8127-6061-4099-b883-9bbc31670b2f.
systemd[1]: Found device /dev/mapper/luks-4cdb8127-6061-4099-b883-9bbc31670b2f.
systemd[1]: Starting File System Check on
/dev/mapper/luks-4cdb8127-6061-4099-b883-9bbc31670b2f...

so it seems related to the encrypted partition.
My M.2 disk is partitionned like that:
/dev/nvme0n1p1: /boot (ext4)
/dev/nvme0n1p2: /boot/efi (fat16)
/dev/nvme0n1p3: swap
/dev/nvme0n1p4: fedora (lvm2 pv)

the fedora volume group has the following partitions:
/dev/fedora/home /home (luks2)
/dev/fedora/root: / (ext4)
/def/fedora/softs: /softs (ext4)

The log says that /boot, /boot/efi and /softs are mounted so it seems
that the hard drive is working correctly. What could happen with the
luks partition so that it stops the boot process?

I have a somewhat similar problem on my daily driver.  Once in a while on the first reboot after a kernel or grub update, I get a corrupt compressed file error in grub and a halt.  I can find no logs to identify the issue.  I don't believe that its a hardware error, as the SSD and the rest of the machine are clean and reliable.  Manual rebooting seems to get past this.

It feels like something is incorrectly asynch in the update mechanism that leaves /boot in a weird state.  Maybe with different machine timing, your bug has the same root cause...

--

John Mellor