On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 21:09 +0300, jarmo wrote:
> > Somethin went't wrong. Got updates of new kernel,
> > kernel-5.13.4-200.fc34.x86_64.
> >
> > Now my HPlaptop won't start. I can write to loginwindow
> > asked passwd. After that everything hangs.
> > with kernel 5.12.15-300.fc34.x86_64 works. I have system in legacy
> > mode, no LVM no UEFI.
> > Only patitions there are /swap and / FS is EXT4...
> > An my wife's Toshiba Satellite, After I disabled /dev/zram0 from
> > system, because from boot.log I could see, that It tried to create
> > SWAP to /dev/zram0. That Toshiba has also partitions /swap and /
> > EXT4 no LVM no UEFI.
> > After disbling, it boots, but takes terrible time, "fedora sircle"
> > stops and takes long time to start XFCE4 VM.
>
> I have that kernel and had to hard-reset my system after load average
> went to over 30, apparently due to a BTRFS cache flush process. May or
> may not be related. It has never happened before.

If you can find the boot this happened in and file a bug against the
kernel, that would be great:

This can help find the boot that it happened with
journalctl --list-boots

I also will use this method to iterate to find the boot, with the
kernel appearing in the first line.
journalctl -b-1
journalctl -b-2
and so on, goes back each boot

For the log to attach, you can filter just for kernel messages with

journalctl -b-3 -k -o short-monotonic --no-hostname > dmesg.txt

So that's the 3rd boot back, kernel messages only, monotonic time
stamps, and no hostname, directed to a file that you can attach to the
bug.

Even better is if you can reproduce the high load and try to capture
one or more of the following: sysrq+l which will dump the result into
dmesg and will end up in the journal, which you can filter similarly:
journalctl -b -k -o short-monotonic --no-hostname > dmesg-cpustack.txt

And attach to the bug report.

Also, you can cc me bugzilla at colorremedies dot com

--
Chris Murphy