On 2021-08-01 7:08 p.m., Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 27Jul2021 15:22, Tom Horsley <horsley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Never mind. I rebooted the router and it works now. I've noticed
a lot of weirdness with this router (Netgear Nighthawk RAX200)
and routing between wired and wireless devices on my local network.
You'd think a top of the line router could get that right :-(.
We've got a few unmanaged netgear switches here and have had some
weirdness ourselves.  I have lossely discovered that having my Mac on
both ethernet and wifi at once causes the LAN to go sour.

. . .

Huh?  Am I misinterpreting?  The MAC is supposed to be world-wide unique to each interface.  There are a couple of situations where this can accidentally happen, like VMware using the same poorly-chosen random MAC for two VMs that breaks everything on that vSwitch, but that's the only one that I've ever encountered. Having the same MAC on two interfaces is not legal, so you should expect to break something on any router or machine that I can think of.  If it works, then that router is broken.

--

John Mellor