> On 7 Oct 2021, at 18:38, Ian Pilcher <arequip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/5/21 16:36, Barry wrote:
>>> On 5 Oct 2021, at 19:41, Ian Pilcher <arequip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use systemd-boot, so I try to avoid having unneeded GRUB packages
>>> installed.  When I run dnf update, grub2-tools-efi and grub2-tools-extra
>>> get installed, even though they aren't required by any of my other
>>> installed packages.
>>>
>>> I already have install_weak_deps=False set in dnf.conf.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any idea why DNF is installing these packages?
>> Try dnf remove package and see what dnf wants to remove.
>> Just answer no so that dns does no damage.
>> That’s the trick I used to find out why a package is needed.
>> You can also do rpm queries, but I do recall the incantation.
>
> That's the mystery.  'dnf remove' happily removes them (which is what I
> want), so it appears that *nothing* requires these packages, so why is
> 'dnf update' installing them?

I removed grub2-tools-extra and did an update. And its back as you said.
But I noticed that other grub files updated at the same time.

I repeated the remove and then the dnf update --refresh did not put it back.

Indeed odd that it sometimes comes back. I ran the rpm -q --what* commands
and grub2-tools-extra is not listed for anything.

Clearly is not a protected package as they cannot be removed at all.

Barry