On 10/25/21 1:54 PM, home user wrote:
On 10/25/21 1:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 25/10/2021 22:36, home user wrote:
(maybe OT)
(dual boot: fedora-34 and windows-7; gnome)

Usually, I use my home workstation with a direct ethernet connection to my modem.  A yellow cable goes from the modem to the yellow receptacle on the back of the tower.

Occasionally, I go through a router.  The yellow cable goes from the modem to the yellow receptacle on the back of the router, and a blue cable goes from any of 4 black receptacles on the back of the router to the yellow receptacle on the back of the tower. This has worked fine for a few years now: for the tower (both Fedora and windows) and for my ipad.

But now it does not work: not for Fedora, not for windows, not for the ipad.  Fedora shows no connection; I've found no way of diagnosing the problem.  The ipad seems to sense the wifi signal, but there's no hint of data (all attempts to use the internet time out); I don't know of any way of diagnosing the problem.  In windows, the indicator shows no internet connection; its diagnostic tool says something about "teredo" being disabled? deactivated? by the sysadmin.

Using the router last worked in mid August (fedora-33 on my workstation).  I did not attempt to use it between then and this past Wednesday.

The upgrade from f-33 to f-34 occurred between the last time I successfully used the router and the first time it didn't work. Is that just a coincidence, or did the upgrade have something to do with it?  How do I get my workstation, ipad, and the router working?

For the f-33 to f-34 upgrade, the tower was connected directly to the modem; the router wasn't even powered up.  But might f-34 have done something to the router when I connected them?  The router is a D-Link AC1200; it's between 3 and 4 years old.

Did you power cycle the modem after making the wiring  changes?

My ADSL modem auto-configures itself when powered up.  If I make changes to the wiring a power-off/on is required for
them to take effect.

I would, power-cycle the modem.  Waiting sufficient time for it to come up.  Mine has a red LED that will go out when it becomes ready.  Then restart the D-Link.  Waiting again.  And then down/up the network on the Fedora system.

That appears to have worked.  (Odd, I never had to do that before.) This reply is going through the router.  The ipad is currently upgrading its os through the router.  If after a while, everything is still good, I'll close this thread.

Thank-you, Ed.

Ed's solution worked. On the Fedora workstation, e-mail works both ways; I surfed the web successfully. The ipad upgraded its OS successfully, and after rebooting,I reached a web site via navigator.

Thank-you for your help, Ed.
I consider this thread SOLVED.

Bill.