On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 2:12 PM Matthew Saltzman <m...@clemson.edu> wrote:

> I have a Lenovo Yoga X1 (2nd generation), on which I was happily
> running a dual boot of the original Windows 10 installation that came
> with the machine and Fedora 34, which I had upgraded through a few
> versions of Fedora.
>
> This time, I decided to do a fresh install of Fedora 35 (to try out
> BTRFS), but when the installation finished, there was no option to boot
> Windows.

 Did you install Fedora on the same physical drive as Windows? And was
a 2nd drive involved in the installation? And what do you get for
'efibootmgr -v' ?

There are some edge cases where you get what you describe, and it
suggests the initial grub2-mkconfig at the end of installation didn't
find the Windows boot loader.

There's also a gotcha with recent installations of Windows 10 which
automatically encrypt the Windows installation and sequester the
encryption key in the TPM. The only way the key is revealed is when
measured boot indicates the system isn't compromised. The problem is
that booting shim+grub results in measured boot failure when choosing
the Windows boot entry, and while Windows does boot, it also asks for
the recovery key for the drive. The alternative is use the firmware's
built-in boot-manager (boot selection menu) to choose Windows. On my
Lenovo laptop you can get to this menu with F9 (or press enter at the
logo screen, which gets you a function key lookup chart superimposed
on the splash, which shows F9). And from there choose the Windows Boot
Manager.

--
Chris Murphy