The host OS is also F34.

On 3/20/22 08:14, George N. White III wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 at 19:47, Paolo Galtieri <pgalti...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I'm having issues with a VM.

It would be useful to mention the host OS.  From the name, I guess your
VM is running Fedora 34.

    The VM was originally created under VMware and has worked fine for a
    while.  Today when I booted it up instead of seeing the usual MATE
    login
    screen I get a login prompt:

    f34-01-vm:

    no matter what I enter, root or pgaltieri as login it never asks for
    password and immediately says login incorrect.  While it's booting
    I see
    several [FAILED]... messages, e.g. [FAILED] to start CUPS Scheduler

    I booted the system again and this time it dropped into emergency
    mode.
    In emergency mode I see the following messages in dmesg:

    BTRFS info (device sda2): flagging fs with big metadata feature
    BTRFS info (device sda2): disk space caching is enabled
    BTRFS info (device sda2): has skinny extents
    BTRFS info (device sda2): start tree-log replay
    BTRFS info (device sda2): parent transid verify failed on 61849600
    wanted 145639 fount 145637
    BTRFS info (device sda2): parent transid verify failed on 61849600
    wanted 145639 fount 145637
    BTRFS: error (device sda2) in btrfs_replay_log:2423 errno=-5 IO
    failure
    (Failed to recover log tree)
    BTRFS error (device sda2) open_ctree failed

    I ran btrfs check in emergency mode and it came up with a lot of
    errors.

    How do i recover the partition(s) so I can boot the system, or at
    least
    mount them?

The underlying problem could be the physical disk that holds the VM's
virtual disk file, or a corrupt btrfs.   Avoid doing anything that would write to the virtual disk.  Make a backup copy of the virtual disk. If the physical drive
is OK, use a separate VM to mount the Fedora 34 virtual disk for repair
attempts.

Try: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ
How do I recover from a  parent transid verify failed error?

At one time VirtualBox had issues with btrfs.  You should check for similar
reports for VMWare and btrfs.

--
George N. White III

Fedora Code of