What version of Firefox are you using? There was a version a couple
weeks ago that snuck passed updates-testing into stable that has a
nasty memory leak. I ran into it with oomd killing it off, so I masked
oomd. Haha, bad idea, the memory leak locked the whole setup, had to
force power off (I gave it a few minutes, which is really too long). I
think the FF bug got fixed but maybe not always? So as it turns out
oomd is doing the right thing in this case, just that we're not
getting a desktop notification about what happened.

--
Chris Murphy