On Mon, Aug 15, 2022, at 2:32 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> On 8/15/2022 12:17 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022, at 5:08 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>> I just thought I would ask for opinions on backups that people use.
>>> I have thought about the old fashioned dump/restore; IDK if that would
>>> be good for modern use or not. My system isn't really that big. My
>>> allotted size is 30 Gig, and it's not full. There's dar and xar and
>>> fsarchiver. There's backing up with btrfs too.
>> I mainly backup just /home because I consider everything else replaceable.
>> So for that it's

> I want to keep my valuable info and get rid of everything else. But not
> have to go through downloading and manually running dnf every time for
> the rpms I individually install. There's quite a few of them. Are you
> uploading to a server online? Or copying to another partition formatted
> with btrfs?

This command is an Intel NUC on the local network, and /srv/backups is a Btrfs
formatted volume.

$ sudo btrfs send -p home.20220810 home.20220815 | ssh chris@fnuc.local "sudo
btrfs receive /srv/backups/fovo/"

Although when I'm traveling it looks a bit differently because I'll use a
locally attached USB stick:

$ sudo btrfs send -p home.20220810 home.20220815 | sudo btrfs receive
/run/chris/backups/fovo/

Because the "root" subvolume contains everything, including logs and VM images
if you use virt-manager, databases, it can actually go through quite a bit of
churn. Probably more than the typical "home".

--
Chris Murphy