I'd wager there are shell scripts using fgrep that were written on
the first pdp-11 unix and are still in use today, but appeasing
someone's OCD is more important than backward compatibility for
tens of thousands of systems all over the world. OK fine, I know
I'll lose any argument here, so I've used my "big hammer" to
write some new scripts to fix the issues I've found so far:

https://tomhorsley.com/game/Mjolnir.html

Whenever a dnf update brings back the stderr message for egrep
and fgrep, I've got a script that copies the egrep and fgrep
from fedora 37 that I saved off back over the top of the egrep
and fgrep scripts in /usr/bin :-). No more annoying stderr spew.

Also the -p and -i options of uname were broken, so another script
I have notices if uname stops working again and moves the new
/usr/bin/uname to /usr/bin/uname.real and copies in a unmae script
that swaps a -i or -p option to be -m instead then invokes
uname.real

At least my sanity is saved :-).