Once upon a time, Thomas Cameron <thomas.came...@camerontech.com> said:
> I use an NFS server export to mount my /home directory on my
> desktop. I've got the itch to go to 10Gb ethernet, but I am reading
> that the tp-link tx401 has a problem with bridging, and I use
> bridging for KVM virtual machines on my desktop. I *think* that you
> can just disable using the command "ethtool -K <ethX> lro off," but
> I wondered if anyone had any experience with NICs that work with
> bridging out of the box.

I have a couple of these, one in my home server (which includes NFS) and
one in my primary desktop, connected through a Mikrotik CRS305 switch,
and the setup works fine.  I am using bridging on both systems (for
VMs), and that works fine as well.  Checking my interfaces, it looks
like LRO is already disabled (I'm guessing by the "atlantic" kernel
driver, as I haven't set any ethtool options).

I have experienced a couple of issues, both related to putting my
desktop to sleep when I'm not using it:

- Every once in a while, when I resume, the network is dead.  There's a
  kernel oops (that's kind of vague) and I have to reboot.  This isn't a
  huge problem, because it only seems to happen after a bunch of
  suspend/resume cycles, and I typically reboot for updates more often
  than it happens.

- I also run jumbo frames, and after a suspend/resume cycle, the MTU on
  the NIC resets to 1500 (while the bridge interface stays jumbo).  This
  breaks communication.  I don't know if the driver is expected to
  restore the MTU and isn't, but NetworkManager also doesn't seem to
  handle bridge+suspend/resume right; NICs show "connected (externally)"
  in nmcli after a suspend/resume, like NM loses management of them.
  I've just hacked around this by adding a dispatcher script to reset
  the MTU.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>