Once upon a time, Roger Heflin <rogerhef...@gmail.com> said:
> To use a 10Gbit interface you will have to have multiple machines
> doing large file sequential io (assuming they are wireless or gbit
> interfaces) at the same time.

I disagree.  Both my home "server" and desktop are regular desktop
motherboards (well, "gaming" models because those usually have more
ports), with Ryzen CPUs (nothing particularly fancy).  The server has 3
NAS-type SATA drives in Linux md RAID5, with an NVMe read cache on the
LVM pool.  I just picked a random large file that wasn't in the cache
and did a dd over the NFS and got 199 MB/s - hot cache it was 1.2 GB/s.

This is with zero effort at tuning the network interfaces (managing
interrupts or any ethtool-type settings), or even really doing much to
try to improve NAS speed (like using more and/or faster drives).  Modern
systems can easily surpass what a 1 gigabit NIC can do.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>