On 09/15/2023 03:11 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

The advantage btrfs has is that the volumes share the same space.  So you can have / and /home be separate, but you don't have to decide on how much space each one gets.  And you can still do a re-install while keeping the files in /home.  Also, if the drive runs out of space, you can expand the filesystem onto another drive.  Snapshots can also be nice in certain cases.

Considering how big drives are today and that I specified a home user, how likely is it that you're going to run out of space? I have never seen the slightest need for LVM on a home box, but it's still the default on all of the workstation spins.