Once upon a time, Bill Cunningham <bill.cu1...@gmail.com> said:
>     In the days of mbr bios we could save the 512 of the HDD sector.
> Now is all this gone with UEFI? Is the bootsector of the partition,
> 512 to 1024 or so bytes no longer valid? IS there specific locations
> that uefi files are stored in binary of the drive? Or, is that all
> gone now and we are just looking at files in text in partitions like
> boot/efi ?

UEFI uses GPT partitioning, and uses a partition to store the files
needed for booting (which Fedora usually mounts at /boot/efi).  The
partition has a special assigned GPT type, but is typically a VFAT
filesystem.

There's no magic reserved space outside partitions that is used for
booting anymore.  The firmware finds the device, reads the partition
table to find the correct partition, mounts that partition and reads the
configured executables from it.
--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>