On Thu, 2023-09-28 at 15:57 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> after upgrading from fedora 37 to 38 the scanner still works quite
> well,
> but it seems that my printing is somehow grainy, even for well
> defined
> documents.
> Initially I thought of a possible reason with the just replaced toner
> but
> then trying to print the same pdf file from my Samsung S22 phone it
> prints
> perfectly.
> Both the printer and the phone use wifi connection.
> After upgrading I got the usual message that the driver needed to be
> reinstalled but I continually got checksum error and it didn't
> complete.
> I then manually downloaded from here:
> https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/
> and gave the .run file to the wizard as input and the printer worked
> again,
> but output is grainy.
> On my fedora 38 I have hplip-3.23.5-8.fc38.x86_64 so I downloaded the
> hplip-3.23.5-plugin.run file from the web site above.
> Could that be the reason?
>
> Running hp-check I see
>
> HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134
> -------------------------
> Type: Printer
> Device URI: hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134?ip=192.168.1.223
> PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134.ppd
> PPD Description: HP LaserJet MFP m129-m134, hpcups 3.23.5
> Printer status: printer HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134 is idle.  enabled
> since
> Thu 28 Sep 2023 03:18:44 PM CEST
> Communication status: Good
>
> Any other better optimized ppd to use? Or anything else to
> check/debug?

I've had good results just by uninstalling the manufacturer's driver
(Brother in my case) and configuring the printer/scanner to use IPP.

I recently saw a news item saying (IIRC) that MS intend to remove
proprietary drivers from future Windows versions and "encouraging"
manufacturers to use standard protocols, so at some future time expect
them to stop supporting specific drivers for Linux.

poc