On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 11:15 AM stan via users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I recently received an offer from T-mobile to use their 5G network as
> my main internet access.  It was contingent on a contract for phone
> with them, but the price and speed for internet was competitive.  Has
> anyone done this using fedora, or I suppose, any other system?  Horror
> stories or kudos?  The main drawback I could see was that it was a lot
> like early cable, where the bandwidth depended on the number of users
> on your branch. If it was just me, I have the whole pipe, and it would
> be awesome. Ten others and me, and not so hot as we shared the bandwidth
> among us.

I used T-Mobile and a hotspot for internet access while on-prem at a
customer's site in New York City (Manhattan) back around 2011 to about
2012 or 2013. It was a 4G network back then. I used the hotspot to
avoid using the customer's network, and its Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
program.

T-Mobile regularly dropped my data connections when the network got
bogged down (presumably with voice calls).

Your internet and data traffic on a 5G connection will likely be a
second class citizen with no quality of service guarantees. In fact,
it probably won't even meet 5G standards, which I believe is 20 GB/s
burst and 1 GB/s download speed. If I recall correctly, there are
loopholes built into the marketing so carriers can claim they provide
the standard even though they don't meet the specification. Or that's
what I found back in the 4G days.

Jeff