On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 03:44:56 -0700
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonr...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> After the latest upgrade to Fedora, when Firefox is started from the
> panel, the screen goes dark, and then refreshes itself; Firefox does
> not start. Firefox appears to start perfectly when run from the
> console or from the application launcher. I have attached a fragment
> of the system log showing activity immediately before and after
> Firefox was started (Journal.txt)
>
> Any ideas how to investigate.
>
> Application info:
>    firefox-118.0.1-4.fc38.x86_64
> System info:
>    Operating System: Fedora Linux 38
>    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
>    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
>    Qt Version: 5.15.10
>    Kernel Version: 6.5.5-200.fc38.x86_64 (64-bit)
>    Graphics Platform: X11
>    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
>    Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
>    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4600
>    Manufacturer: ASUS

It sounds like there isn't a problem with firefox, per se.  If it
starts fine with two out of three methods, it is the invocation that is
causing the problem.  I'm not sure what starting from the panel is, but
can you get to the actual command being run when you do that?  Then
compare it to what you run from the console or application launcher.
Can you alter the panel version to run with firefox --safe-mode, so
that it starts without any add-ons.  Maybe try with a different user;
create a new user [1] and start firefox from the panel with that new
user and a pristine /home directory.  Success with the new user will
indicate that there is something in your /home directory
configuration that is causing the problem.  Failure, a KDE panel
problem, and probably time for a bugzilla.

1. See  man useradd  for how to add a new user.  You should be able to
switch to that new user from the greeter.