On Mon, 2023-10-30 at 00:06 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 9:49 PM ToddAndMargo via users
> <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > > I recall there's sudo configuration options for users and/or
> > > particular
> > > commands that don't require a password.
> > >
> > > "To run particular commands without sudo password in Linux, you
> > > can use
> > > the NOPASSWD directive in the /etc/sudoers file. This directive
> > > allows
> > > you to specify a list of commands that can be run without
> > > requiring a
> > > password."
> > >
> > > Of course there are risks involved, you'll have decide about that
> > > for
> > > yourself.
> >
> > Seems like I am going to have to compromise on sudo
>
> I believe you can avoid that if you want. Write a C program that
> calls
> fork/exec. Call nvme in the fork. Set the setuid bit on the program.

Yes, and open yourself to potential security holes unless you know
exactly what you're doing (including setting the proper security
context). Problems with setuid programs written without due care and
attention are a classic entry point for attack.

Sudo exists to avoid the necessity of this sort of thing.

poc