On Thu, 2023-11-16 at 18:36 -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> $ dnf info redhat-lsb-submod-security
>
> Last metadata expiration check: 3:57:51 ago on Thu 16 Nov 2023 02:37:19
> PM PST.
> Installed Packages
> Name         : redhat-lsb-submod-security
> Version      : 4.1
> Release      : 60.fc38
> Architecture : x86_64
> Size         : 0.0
> Source       : redhat-lsb-4.1-60.fc38.src.rpm
> Repository   : @System
> From repo    : fedora
> Summary      : LSB Security submodule support
> URL          : http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb
> License      : GPLv2
> Description  : The Linux Standard Base (LSB) Security submodule specifications
>              : define components that are required to be present on an LSB
>              : conforming system.
>

> Huh ????  Flew right over my head.

Which bit?

The Linux Standards Base is a bunch of basic things expected to exist
on a system.  So software developers have some idea of what they'll
have to work with, what they're expected to support, etc, and try and
standardise things.  There's very basic things, such as the barebones
file system directories (/bin, /etc/ and so on) and what purposes
they're supposed to be used for, and there's binary constructs that
actually are the OS and expected support files (you expect to always
have the ls command, for instance).

And as a bit of a sideways example, CUPS was always expected to exist
on a system, even if you don't own a printer.  There's some logic to
that, also some illogic to it.  Everybody does not have a printer,
everything on a system ought to be able to deal with that, it shouldn't
require an idle printer driving system to be installed.

If you use "rpm -ql redhat-lsb-submod-security" you'll see that it only
contains two files.  If you actually look for those files on your
system, you'll may find they're zero byte files (they are on my CentOS
system) that aren't worth caring about.

The presence of those files satisfies some thing that looks for them,
and only cares that they exist.  Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a
bit of a dumb test for software to do, but there you are.

If you start up some software from the command line you'll see they
complain about various things not existing, but the program still
starts and runs (a better way to run things).  It's simply that those
features aren't available to it, it didn't actually *need* them.

Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be any LSB packages on my
Fedora 36 system:

[tim@fluffy ~]$ rpm -qa \*lsb\*
[tim@fluffy ~]$

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.102.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 17 15:42:21 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.