On 23 Nov 2023 at 18:53, Michael Hennebry wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:53:41 -0600 (CST)
From:                   Michael Hennebry
<henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:                     noloa...@gmail.com,
        Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:                Re: firefox keeps freezing on me
Send reply to:          Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 2:21?PM Michael Hennebry
> > <henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> By now, I am fairly sure that the reason firefox freezes
> >> on me is neither a lack of memory nor a lack of CPU.
> >> My inference is that it is waiting for something.
> >> How do I discover what?
> >
> > I would investigate the virtual memory system. That's based on your
> > reply to Roger Heflin, and the 8GB of RAM and no swap file. Maybe

Might want to run firefox from a command line and see if it reports
anything.

I don't get a freeze, but do see this, perhaps something will be
shown?

firefox
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by
environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by
environment.
[Parent 346000, Main Thread] WARNING: Failed to call
GetIdletime():
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The
name org.gnome.Mutter.IdleMonitor was not provided by any
.service files
: 'glib warning', file
/builddir/build/BUILD/firefox-120.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:1
87

** (firefox:346000): WARNING **: 11:01:58.425: Failed to call
GetIdletime():
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The
name org.gnome.Mutter.IdleMonitor was not provided by any
.service files

> You mean this:
> Michael Hennebry wrote (some whitespace deleted):
> > $ free -h
> >           total        used        free      shared  buff/cache available
> > Mem:      7.7Gi       4.1Gi       882Mi       572Mi       2.7Gi 2.7Gi
> > Swap:     7.7Gi        98Mi       7.6Gi
> > $ I have no swap partition.
> ?
> I'd have thought 882Mi free and 2.7Gi available would be good.
> BTW I have a lot of tabs, but not a lot of videos.
> Mostly my tabs are things to read.
>
> > start with `vm.overcommit_memory = 2` in `/etc/sysctl.conf`. The 2
> > says, "say no if we don't have the memory".
>
> From the persistence of the belief that I am running out of memory,
> I infer one of two scenarios is assumed:
> 1: firefox is waiting on memory is was told it has, but might never get.
> 2: firefox has been told memory is unavailable,
> but does not do anything sensible with that information.
> The output from free would seem to preclude both scenarios.
>
> What is the state of a process that is waiting on commited,
> but unavailable, memory?
>
> --
> Michael   henne...@mail.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
> "I was just thinking about the life of a pumpkin.  Grow up in the sun,
> happily entwined with others, and then someone comes along,
> cuts you open, and rips your guts out."      --       Buffy
> --
> Do not reply to spam, report it:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mi...@guam.net
 mailto:msetze...@gmail.com
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer