On 07/05/2024 14:07, Andre Robatino wrote:
I have a very old computer with GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated video. I had video trouble as
well, had been using just "nomodeset" to work around it, but got 1024x768 pincushioned
video on my old CRT with 1280x1024 as the maximum resolution. (This is just a backup machine now,
that I normally just ssh into to do updates, so I could tolerate it.) The machine is dual boot with
Windows 10 where I get normal 1280x1024 video. Probably Windows has a much bigger hardware database
and is better able to work around quirky hardware. Anyway, with F40 it wouldn't boot to graphical
at all, but I eventually found that adding "nomodeset vga=795" fixes the video and lets
it come up in 1280x1024, without pincushioning, like in Windows. (I'm not able to change the video
resolution as an ordinary user, in Settings, but I don't care since the resolution is optimal.)
Both options are necessary. The video mode numbers are at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers
   . So try "nomodeset vga=XXX" where XXX is the desired mode.

Thank you for that - and ISTR that you had posted something similar earlier. I have tried it, and variations on it, but any boot-to-completion still gives me 800x600.

I just tried playback of 1920x1080, and it was fine, but ffmpeg used 4 cores all at 90%. Letting the TV do the heavy lifting is better.

John