On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 16:32 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:07:49 -0700
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>
> > How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
> > controlled when they are being run under KDE?
>
> The /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon has to be running for
> gnome progs to discover any settings you have made. At
> least that's what I discovered I needed when running
> under fvwm:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/degnome.html
>
> (somewhat old, but I think mostly valid still).

I'm afraid this is out of date, except for the note in the reference
that "no GTK programs will render fonts readably unless they have access
to the custom font settings you can establish".  When I try to
run /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon, I get the following messages,
and font control doesn't seem to work.  It looks like
gnome-settings-daemon isn't compatible with the latest KDE font/theme
control.

$ /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: You can only run one xsettings
manager at a time; exiting

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: Unable to start xsettings manager:
Could not initialize xsettings manager.

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Grab failed for
some keys, another application may already have access the them.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: Unable to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to open
directory: Error opening directory '/run/udev/firmware-missing': No such file
or directory

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get
upgrades: GetDistroUpgrades not yet supported by backend

$

Foo - jon