On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:06:17AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 09:26 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:20:38PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >>Over the weekend,while traveling, I noticed that I did not know
> >>where 'Recent Documents' is now.
> >>
> >>I would REALLY like a 'Recent Documents' feature....
> >For any apps that use the recent docs integration bits, you can just
> >type part of their name in the GNOME Shell overview and the document
> >should appear as a result.  I use this quite a bit myself.
>
> Took me a bit of thought to figure out what you probably meant by
> 'GNOME Shell overview'.  I guessed it was that box in the upper
> right what says search.  And I typed in part of a document name not
> opened but did have opened a little while back and it worked,
> bringing up a 'recent' view showing this document as a calc doc.
> Clicking on it opened it.  Kind of neat.

The overview is that "zoom out" mode that you can get by hitting the
logo key on your keyboard, or Alt+F1, or hitting the upper left corner
hotspot, or clicking on the Activities menu.

You can actually just start typing right away without clicking
anything, and the search box is used by default.  This is awesome both
because it reduces the number of actions for everyone, and also
because if you use the keyboard to switch to the overview already, you
never need to move your hand to your other input device (mouse or
trackball or what-have-you).